Monday, March 1, 2010

All I know is that I don't know nothing

Everyday I learn more of what I don’t know. I used to be very liberal in my beliefs and it used to be very easy to make a stance on a certain topic. Yet the more I evaluate concepts the more I second guess myself. I always believed that the government should take care of those in need and provide health care for everyone. Most people wouldn’t argue against this, if it wasn’t for the costs. I’d always support a feasible health care plan, but at the same time I can’t overlook the other side. Health care is very expensive and if someone doesn’t want to pay, why should the rest of us pick up the tab? There’s always circumstances when people actually need, and deserve, welfare, but what if some people simply don’t want to work like the rest of us? Kind of a stretch, but my step-brother’s step dad’s niece is an example of this. She went to school to be an EMT, worked as a paramedic for a while, and then one day just decided she doesn’t want to do it anymore. She now has three kids and is financially supported by the government. She gets rewarded for doing nothing, while I can’t collect unemployment because I’m a student. Many of our problems can come from over-populating so when you think about it she’s actually hurting all of us. Another issue is gays in the military. I was always for it because I believe they should be treated equally, yet I’m not planning on joining the military so why should I have a say? I consider myself pro-choice, but why does my opinion matter here? I’m not a woman and I don’t plan on going around having unprotected sex, and even then the decision still isn’t up to me. I was against guns for a while too, believing that people in our society can be unstable and irresponsible at times. However there will always be forms of violence which may be unavoidable so, me being a little guy, I now consider the fact that one day I may need to own one (hopefully never having to use it). These are just a few samples of issues that trouble me, seems the more I learn the more I realize I’m still a naive immature kid. This in turn makes me question everything I think I know even more because there may be some details I’m unaware of. There may be details in certain topics all of us are unaware of. I know keeping an open mind can help with this, but at the same time I feel if I don’t stand for something I’ll fall for anything. If I keep my mind too open I may loose sight of my own principles and values. I feel like in the end I still don’t know anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment